Moving across town or across country can be painful, expensive, and totally uproot your life. When you finally arrive and unpack your boxes, it’s easy to realize there is not room in your new place—for things you finally realize you don’t need. Downsize before you move to clear clutter and make your move more cost efficient. With an online downsizing auction, you can move items before packing or empty out those overflowing storage hideaways. Besides, it makes more room for the brand new, custom-selected things for the next leg of your life journey.
Below are a few helpful checklists and some advice about what to sell as part of downsizing and how to do is easily.
The benefits of downsizing before moving
- Help cover moving costs, like boxes and truck size.
- Increase the fuel efficiency of your loaded vehicle.
- Protect your back and knees from lifting unnecessary items.
- Avoid furniture that crowds a new space.
- Make unpacking and settling in easier.
- Empty storage sheds, attics, basements, garages, and overstuffed closets.
Things to Consider Selling When You Move to a Smaller Place
- Yard care equipment that is not longer useful.
- Large furniture, like sectional couches and dining room tables, that will cramp your new space.
- Pottery, vases, and decorative ornaments can be paired down.
- Cookware, storage ware, and serving ware that will go largely unused, like that fondue pot.
- Art—plan what will be put up ahead of your move.
- Tools that are duplicates or simply not relevant to your new lifestyle.
- Exercise equipment that isn’t compact, like weight benches or that dusty treadmill.
- Home decorating supplies bought for that home. Start new, getting rid of outdated wallpaper, paint, and throw pillows
How to Plan a Downsizing Sale When Moving
Moving is already a hassle. Yard sales or monitoring resale sights is time and labor you do not have. The whole point is to simplify and clear space in your life. Make that job easy by either uploading an app that allows the seller to easily post to an available audience. Or, get full service help from a professional staff. With MaxSold, you can sell a partial or full household collection. Choosing MaxSold has the incredible bonuses of:
- Local buyers, which means no shipping costs.
- Anonymous selling and bidding.
- A 98.9% sell-through rate, almost everything sold
- Minimal presence, clearing everything out with two visits.
- Auctions last two weeks. We handle everything.
- Predetermined pickups.
- No upfront fee. No hidden cost.
- Single check of the total amount made from auction to seller.
What Happens in a Full-Service Downsizing Auction
- Two 3-to 4-hour visits to your home with safety measures
MaxSold’s professionals come to your home to photograph and catalog your items—household goods to boats!
- Auctioned items are posted online to a local audience.
MaxSold handles all the posting, advertising of your auction, management of bids, and sets the auction for a two-week bidding window.
- Bidder payments are collected.
The winning bids are processed by MaxSold, safely. Your information stays private with no bank information, emails, phone numbers given.
- Pickup happens on a prearranged, single day in a short window with safety measures.
Once the payment is confirmed, buyers are given an arranged pickup window. For full-service, MaxSold will be there on the pickup day, so you don’t have to be. Customers have to have an invoice to prove payment—before they get the address.
- Get Your Money!
After the auction, you will get one single payment, which is safer and easier.